Thursday, November 17, 2011

I just finished a very good book...

I read Tess Gerritson's "The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1)" Here's a copy of my review from GoodReads:

This book was the creative inspiration for the TV series Rizzoli and Isles, which I LOVE.  I had owned this book for 2 years without reading it, but when I found out that fact I had to dust it off (figuratively, since it's an e-book) and finally read it.

Had I NOT known about the Rizzoli and Isles connection, or had I read it before I saw the show, I might have given it 5 stars.  I did enjoy the book very much, but the differences between the show and the book distracted me.  For example, Dr. Isles is not in the book at all, and I missed her!  I love the relationship between Rizzoli and Isles on the TV show and kept looking for it in the book.  Also, the character of Rizzoli in the book is similar to the one on TV but there are a few glaring differences.  First of all, in the book she is described as plain and no one can accuse Angie Harmon of being plain!  On TV the character comes across as a tom-boy with a sometimes difficult relationship with her mother.  In the book she is cranky and bitter.

The story is FABULOUS.  It's like the prequel to the TV show and I love getting that background.

All told, the book is very much worth reading and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the genre.  If you haven't seen the TV show, it's better yet!!

No comments: